The San Angelo Blues Society is a fun loving group of people in San Angelo, Texas who enjoy each other and promote Blues music over miles and miles of West Texas. We are a member of The Blues Foundation, headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee and a registered non-profit corporation by the State of Texas, and now a 501(c)3 per the IRS.
The Society was founded by a small group of Blues enthusiasts and civic minded citizens several years ago who enjoyed listening to blues music and appreciated its rich, colorful history. For years our Society has operated in a planned chaotic manner and had spurned unnecessary organization.
Our phenomenal (and somewhat unexpected) success with producing our “Simply Texas Blues Festival”, has driven us to a more organized mode. We now have an active Board of Directors. We have become a real live 501 (c ) 3 corporation.
The San Angelo Blues Society is proud of our accomplishments in promoting Blues music. We are proud of the venues that serve up our vibrant music scene and the astounding number of talented local musicians. And we are proud of our great little city in general. In fact, we were awarded the City of San Angelo’s Community Spirit Award for the fun we provided in producing the annual ‘Simply Texas Blues Festival.
A few of the many activities we had a hand in were:
- Fat Tuesday Celebration Benefiting the SABS
- BB King concert at the River Stage
- Slim Jim Rose concert at the Cactus Hotel (2007)
- Pinetop Perkins live in concert at the Cactus Hotel (2008)
- Rich DelGrosso concert at the Cactus Hotel (2009)
- Blue Jeans for Blues benefit sale
- Yearly sponsoring act(s) to compete in the International Blues Challenge, Memphis, TN
- Support for the San Angelo Cultural Affairs Council
- Scholarships offered to students attending Angelo State University and Howard College
- Blues in the Schools programs
- Producing the Simply Texas Blues Festival each May since 2009
- Beer Blues and BBQ and Musician’s Jam each month
- Support the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program
- Support the Concho Valley Food Bank
- The “Memphis Project” IBC bound musicians benefit
We meet once a month, and our members are often seen congregating wherever live music can be heard. We always recite the pledge of allegiance, learn some bits of blues history and even get some business done. Meetings are often followed by live music and a pot luck dinner.
We have also hosted FUN events honoring days such as Janis Joplin’s birthday, Fat Tuesday, St. Patrick’s Day, Juneteenth, International Blues Music Day, etc.
With an ever-growing list of members, we complete the club mission of promoting Blues music, Blues history and down home good fellowship.
Applications are currently being taken for members.
For more information email us at [email protected]
Our mailing address is:
PO Box 2779
San Angelo, Texas 76902